In many cases, patients who’ve experienced trauma to a bone will pass it off as “only a fracture” and not a break, and not seek medical treatment. But the truth is that any bone trauma requires medical attention.
Broken Bones and Fracture Treatment Require the Same Attention
Whether a patient refers to the damage they’ve received as a fracture or a break, the body’s response is the same. The lining of the bone contains an abundance of nerve endings that cause pain. When a trauma occurs to the bone, the muscles that surround the affected bone begin to spasm to isolate movement – your body’s own way of preventing further damage. But even if you can move the injured area, it does not mean treatment should be avoided. Here are some things you can do prior to coming to Medco ER & Urgent Care:
- If there’s bleeding associated with the trauma, apply pressure to the wound with a clean cloth
- Do not try to realign the bone – instead, try to immobilize the area until it can receive bone fracture treatment or broken bone treatment
- Use an ice pack to minimize swelling to the area and to provide pain relief
- If the person who has suffered the trauma is displaying signs of shock (such as feeling faint or having difficulty controlling their breathing), have them lie down in a position that places their head lower angle than the rest of their body and if possible elevate the legs.
Healing Time for Bone Fractures
The time required for a bone fracture – or a bone break – will depend on several different factors such as:
- The type of break or fracture
- The patient’s age
- Underlying medical conditions
- Overall health status
Generally, most patients are able to achieve functional healing in about eight weeks.
Visit Medco ER & Urgent Care for Emergency Medical Care and More!
Whether it’s for a broken bone, a bone fracture, or any other type of medical care, Medco ER & Urgent Care is the best facility in your community to meet your medical needs. We offer advanced technology, compassionate staff, and high-quality care to each of our Plano and Frisco neighbors. If you ever need medical help, you can trust that Medco ER & Urgent care will always be available when you need us 24/7.